Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Dreaming of Scully

My new script is a "Galaxy Quest" treatment of Gillian Anderson playing Scully, because I think the world is in love with the archetypal figure of Clarice/Scully and desperately needs her. And if you doubt me, check out this AICN column from last week.

Scully's on my brain, and since I make Mom proof read, she's on Mom's brain.

Mom talks in her sleep. I mean, you can interact with her. It's scary.

So imagine 5 minutes ago, Mom snoring logs, then suddenly shouts out "Well, Scully will take care of it! She'll wipe those a**holes out!"

Snoring. A minute later:

"She'll figure out what the f*ck she's supposed to do."

At which point I'm howling. Then Mom says "Are you 100% sure there's not a closet behind that closet, Lis? 'Cause it's going."

Which actually gave me pause. I mean, I don't know...maybe Mom unconscious is seeing aliens or ghosts in our house...what do I know? So I say "Mom, what does Scully see?"

Mom yells "She's just sure there's something up in that attic. She wants to rip into it."

Okay, now I'm a tad freaked. But Mom's still snoring in between each sentence when she adds:

"She wants to go on one of those People Walkers, like in the airport. Sounds cool."

Sounds cool indeed, Mom.

Her last intelligible comment?

"Boy those little cap sleeves do nothing for her. I'll tell you. Man."

That must have been some dream. Just makes me more determined to keep writing my screenplay, even if a lot of people don't get it. Hell, I need Scully in my life.

This will be my last post, because Mom is going to kill me when she wakes up and reads this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was nice knowin' ya!
XO,
Nurse Sis

Andrew Ironwood said...

If not the world, then certainly a reasonable portion of it loves and needs Scully -- press on, McDuff (Yes, I know I just mangled Willie the Shakes...)

Kidsis said...

Brent, Nurse Sis and I are sitting here giggling at your post. Great sense of humor.

Don't be so anti-social, the world needs you out there! Thanks for the "Mom-alias" strategy. The tip will be employed immediately.

Of course, if you don't here back from me, it didn't work. Thanks for writing!