Thursday, May 19, 2005

Double crap

There be Star Wars spoilers in the next three paragraph, so skip ahead if you didn't see it last night.

WAR!

I kid you not. As that first word scrawled across the screen in that trademark text, one of my midnight companions covered her face and let out a loud "Shiiiiitttttttt." Yup. Worst fears realized. Didn't like the last Star Wars. Last hour was adequate. Bored and PO'd at all before it. Would gladly excise every Anakin/Padme scene, and am now convinced George Lucas has never been in love. Won't go as far as saying he raped my childhood, but he certainly lost my religion. I don't want to have anything to do with his new version of Jedis and the fans that cheer when Yoda fights in anger and quips trite action lines. Did any of the cheering fanboys SEE the true first trilogy? And why is it okay to market the dark side to little kids as some cute color M & Ms come in? It's the Dark Side...you know, absolute power corrupts absolutely? Hitler? Ah how cute...let's make it a Happy Meal and make the Sith much more appealing for the younglings to emulate than the Jedi! Brilliant idea.

That's all I'll say for now. Go judge for yourself. I personally wanted to run out to the parking lot right then and rip my Jedi vanity plates off my car. Damn. Damn. Damn.

On to the weird news. Have tried again for two days to put Calliope to sleep, but keep being foiled by logistics. Yesterday the vet wasn't in at all, and today Nurse Sis suddenly had jury duty, and I was too big of a pansy to do it by myself.

But I finally decided it was time when a friend argued against euthanasia. And during her painful assertion that animals know when it's right and nature has its own course, I realized how selfish I've been and that if you love someone more than you love yourself, you'll want their peace. Also, I finally got my sign...yesterday the radio alarm clock woke me up with Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven." Pretty clear, even for someone who keeps lying to her kitty about believing in a kitty heaven. Personally, I've never felt any connection to anyone in my life who has died. But, doesn't mean Calliope should stay with me with this quality of life. So fingers crossed, everything will go smoothly and we will get her to the vet before closing tonight.

On to the great news, because as life would have it we have our highs and lows together: I have a screenwriting friend who is going to show one of my scripts to her manager, and wants to pitch another in the next two weeks to HBO and Here. And I really like this woman...we've similar goals and beliefs, and she's got a great head on her shoulders and a name for herself. I hope if they're interested she can be some kind of producer on the projects so I'm walking in with an ally. So fingers crossed for the career. My friends have been yelling at me that I was ready to put my work out there, and it looks like it's happening now. I may have been very blessed not to get into the MFA program.

I've been trying to prepare for all this by itemizing what state my scripts are in: 6 that are done up to the second act or more, 2 just first acts, and 16 ideas ready for treatments. Time for me to start writing fulltime!

2 comments:

jayeofmanyhats said...

I recently had to put my dog Layla to sleep. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I understand the song connection. I very rarely heard Layla on the radio when I got my dog. Now I heard it almost every day. I know she loved me as much as I loved her and I did the right thing in giving her rest and taking away the pain. I just hope one day someone will love me enough to do the same.

Kidsis said...

Thank you thank you....

Guess pets love Eric Clapton!

Once Nurse Sis saw how fast and nice it was, she started asking me for the pink shot...only I think she wants it now!