Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Is your soul tired?

TERMINATOR: SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES
Episode "Last Voyage of the Jimmy Carter"
Available for free on Hulu.

A gorgeous feat of storytelling from last Friday's episode. Bravura writing, directing, acting. The teleplay is credited to Ashley Edward Miller & Zach Stentz, directing to Guy Norman Bee.


THE SCENE: A sleepy, fed-up human handler tries to wrap things up for the night with the Terminator robot he is in charge of who is giddily engrossed in painting miniatures.

TERMINATOR: The eyes for example, the window to the soul. They're the window to the soul. I read that.
HUMAN: That's what they say.
TERMINATOR: Then I should choose my paint more carefully.
HUMAN: It doesn't matter, John Henry. It's a statue. It's an object. It doesn't have a soul.
TERMINATOR: It has eyes. Your eyes look tired. Is your soul tired?
HUMAN: No, my soul isn't tired. But I am. And I am going home.


There are more exchanges in this episode that make it more than worth your time, as a storyteller and a human. It's a five star episode.

No comments: