Tuesday, November 15, 2005

No Witty Title

My Uncle Cal passed away Sunday at 5 pm. You guys can always tell when I'm feeling super-crappy because I stop posting. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what's up.

I'm so glad I didn't go. He even followed almost the exact same schedule as Mom once they took him off the ventilator. I feel really awful for my cousins, and for Brian and Brenda seeing such a similar death of a loved one so soon, and most of all for my sweet Aunt who is suddenly peerless in our family.

Moral of the story? DON'T SMOKE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leia -- So sorry this happened, kiddo. Love and prayers from all of us.

MIM, CC and the kids

Kidsis said...

True, Lynne. Mom's type of lung cancer was also not caused by smoking, though she was a smoker for forty-five years. But it did greatly diminish her immune system and ability to fight the cancer. That's why it's good she quit before going into chemo.

My uncle didn't have lung cancer. He died of two lung diseases caused by smoking.

But many of the symptoms were the same as his lungs were failing...thus the same treatments in the end. Not being able to breathe is not being able to breathe, and it ain't helped by decades of cigarettes.

Ask me how many of my friends smoke. The answer is at least half.

Kidsis said...

Lynne, Yeah. Such a bummer it even has to be said. I don't think I'll ever get it. I was so mad at my friends when they started smoking in their teens. They knew what would happen.

By the way, so glad you are getting the word out there about non-smoking lung cancer. Mom was always ticked off when people assumed she got it for smoking. Did you have any luck contacting Dana Reeve?

RM, Thank you. Very sweet.

MIM and fam, as always, you're a rock. Say hello to everyone for me.