Monday, October 16, 2006

Superstar


Congratulations to my good buddy Annette Reid for her three-scene gig on "Desperate Housewives" last night. She was the red-head mom who told Felicity's character the dirt on the star pitcher!




And here's how I feel after throwing another one of Brenda's famous parties this weekend:


I'm realizing I just don't have the temperment for big gatherings anymore. It's like a wedding: you can't go more than a few feet without someone talking to you, so you never finish a conversation, pee, or eat, and by the time it's over you realize there's a dozen people who never came up and talked to you and that the food's gone.

I prefer my intimate 5-7 people gatherings that are informal, but this is Nurse Sis's thing. She loooves being the hostess of huge gatherings, and always does it with great generousity and style.

I'm also seeing how little tolerance I have for my friends who don't care that it was just the one year anniversary of mom's death. Some unexpected people were lovely and touching about it and gave great advice and support at the party (it was pretty obvious I wasn't myself), while a disappointing amount of supposedly close friends ignored it or tried giving me guilt trips because they wanted something from me at a time I told everyone I was going to be curled up on the couch for a few weeks.

There are the people who called or sent flowers and well-wishes and tried to help, and there are the people who stuck out as users. It's very interesting how me needing support culls the herd again.

2 comments:

shrinking indigo said...

I'm here, sweetie.

I'm sorry.

You curl up if you need to.

-Amanda

Lynda said...

I understand how you feel.

The anniversary of my sister's death is this Sunday the 22nd. I don't know how people will react around my parents. I just don't feel I have the support they do, because I moved so far away.

One of my dad's supervisors asked him if he would be over it in a year. People don't really get it until they go through it.

Sorry you are blue. Let me know if you need someone to talk to.